List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim]
From:       Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold () kainhofer ! com>
Date:       2003-04-05 13:21:00

On Friday 04 April 2003 23:00, Adriaan de Groot wrote:
> 'K folks, just in case people missed it: Reinhold and I (the main KPilot
> developers) currently have personal issues that are taking up 100% of our
> time.

Well, my issues take up almost all of my time. Still, I intend to work on
kpilot as much as my limited time permits. Thus, I made a large todo list
with everything that needs/should/might be done in kpilot and its conduits
and rated them according to their priority (as I see it).

Since there are many kpilot users on this list, can you please comment on my
priorities. I'll start on top, and try to finish whatever is possible, so the
bottom half of the list will probably never be done. So this is your chance
to get things which are important to you (as users) implemented.

If anything is missing,  please tell me, as everything not on the list will be
ignored (at least for the next few months).

Here's the list (can also be found in  kdepim/kpilot/TODO in CVS HEAD):

Essential
=========
1)  VCal conduit: Currently using the ResourceCalendar (standard
    calendar) doesn't work for some (unknown) reason. Every sync
    happens with the filename given in the setup dialog. Probably
    very easy to fix.
2)  Redesign the config dialog of kpilot (get rid of deprecated
    options, include conflict resolution, etc.)
3)  Fix all conduits to use the new global options: conflict resolution,
    emergency sync, sync mode etc.
4)  VCal conduit: Fields not supported on the handheld are erased
    in the calendar (e.g. categories). I need to get the Event
    before I copy all fields over, and only overwrite the fields
    from the handheld, so the others remain unchanged.

Important (hight priority)
============================
5)  AvantGo conduit: fix the configure.in.in checks for libmal
6)  ABook conduit: fix the first sync setting
7)  Check the first-time syncing behavior of all the conduits.
8)  Find out what's the reason of the "Invalid unique ID" crashes in
    the calendar conduits (and the addresssbook conduit)
9)  GJJ: PalmDOC conduit: kpalmdoc is run as a modal dialog, not as
    a standalone dialog (e.g. create a link  on the desktop to
    kpalmdoc and start kpalmdoc from there. You can't access the
    desktop until you quit kpalmdoc)
10) GJJ: Add a flag to the log{Error,Message} functions to prevent
    the addition of the trailing <br> and the date to each output
    (e.g. to put all output from the AvantGo conduit in one line,
    instead of one separate line for each .)
11) Merge between HEAD and BRANCH (again).
12) ABook conduit: Check all fields for differences before asking
    for conflict resolution. (i.e.. don't ask for conflict resolution
    of single fields, just for the whole record)
13) ABook conduit: custom field sync doesn't work with birthdate
    (how do I convert a date to a string and back in an arbitrary
    format???)
14) ABook conduit: Fix categories sync
15) Add force-first-time to the KNotes conduit.
16) Remove the edit capabilities from the built-in viewers.
17) Include a calendar viewer, or get rid of the internal viewers
    altogether.
18) VCal conduit: events going over midnight need to be split up
    on the handheld
19) GJJ: Replace newlines in TODO summaries (not allowed in libkabc)

Medium (nice to have, but not essential)
20) GJJ: Check all debug output, what should be put in the log (i.e.
    be visible to the user) and what is just debug output to track
    down problems.
21) GJJ: Hunt down and kill printfs. Hunt down bad i18n.
22) Update README, TODO, NEWS, AUTHORS in HEAD.
23) GJJ: Move the conduit configuration dialog (for the umpteenth time)
    to a list of QCheckBoxes, like noatun's plain playlist or
    kdebugdialog
24) PalmDOC conduit: choosing the bookmark type of the pdb->txt
    conversion is not yet implemented
25) ABook conduit: sync with multiple email addresses (comma separated
    list received from handheld)
26) ABook conduit: sync with preferred address (not home or work address)
27) Update the conduit programming howto (some changes in the database
    and record classes)
28) GJJ: The question asked when kpilot and the pilot's usernames don't
    match isn't very intuitive. It should be changed to a yes/no/cancel
    with "Use KPilot name" "Use Pilot name" "Cancel". This is in
    interactiveSync.cc.
29) Fix the NULL conduit's tooltip - OR - make it actually do what the
    current tooltip says (resetSyncFlags() should be enough).
30) GJJ: Create good icons for the kpalmdoc converter application.
31) GJJ: Extend all conduits to allow arbitrary URLs instead of local
    files.
32) JPilot conduit: fix the configure.in.in checks for gtk/glibc
    (although the conduit isn't even remotely finished)

Unimportant (lowest priority)
=============================
33) JPilot conduit: Implement the conduit as an external GTK application,
    that is embedded into kkpilot using qxembed
34) GJJ: Add tooltips to all controls in all conduit configure dialogs
35) Do not store the RecordID with the vcalendar entry, but in the kpilot
    config
36) GJJ: Move the file install widget to an iconview.
37) GJJ: Show the sync log as a KPassivePopup
38) Should interactiveSync and syncStack be moved to lib/ ?
39) Make an application that just has a LogWidget and KPilot's dcop
    interface (and registration!) so that you can follow the daemon's
    log output without starting KPilot at all.

Thanks,
Reinhold