List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] the goal of kaplan
From:       Anders Lund <anders.lund () lund ! tdcadsl ! dk>
Date:       2002-10-31 17:19:33

On Thursday 31 October 2002 17:43, Don Sanders wrote:
> In OPIE does the backend do the filtering or the application?
>
> This is more complicated and I guess SQL would be a good candidate for
> specifying arbitrary filters. I guess you might as well bite the
> bullet and require a database if efficient and flexible filtering is
> required.

I have locally teh begining of a filtering system for KAddressBook, that
allows you to create filters as complex as you want. It uses simple rules,
like compaarisons, that can be grouped to allow for "parentheses", so that a
grou is ither "OR" or "AND". These filters can be translated to a SQL WHERE
statement with relative ease, so if testign the filters were left to the data
backend, they would be useable no matter what type of resorce you would use.

Btw, the filters are one of the main reasons I am so interrested in a type
cast, as it is not possible to compare for example Date and Time data based
on strings, numbers, boolean values etc also would be better with a type in
this respect.

-anders