List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Alarm daemon missing configuration dialog
From:       David Jarvie <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2002-09-19 12:34:17

To transfer the discussion from kde-devel:

On Wednesday 18 Sep 2002 8:37 pm, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Well, you should ask yourself whether you want to burden users with
> these "daemon attributes". I really fail to see for example why the
> alarm daemon
> should have this "check interval" option. IMO it's the responsibility of the
> developer to make software that it alerts the user at the right time and
> whether the software needs to check once an hour to do so or every minute
> is really of no concern to the user.
>
> Now imagine that you have a truely usefull attribute then it still doesn't
> belong in the "Alarm Daemon" configuration module. It belongs in the
> application that uses the alarm daemon.

I think that Waldo may have a point. Perhaps the alarm daemon should be
changed to be told by each client application what check interval to use
(with a default of 1 minute). Then, the configuration of the check interval
would be the responsibility of the client application, which could choose
whether or not to make it a user-configurable value.

--
David Jarvie