List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Some Kitchensync questions
From:       Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold () kainhofer ! com>
Date:       2002-09-18 13:03:03

Hello,
Yesterday night I took a quick look at the kitchensync sources to find out how
kpilot might use it or how kpilot might need to be changed. Please forgive me
if some questions might  be obvious or stupid, but I this is my first look at
kitchensync/ksync, and I didn't have too much time. Just give me a hint on
where to look. Additionally, it was very late at night, so my brain wasn't
working properly any more ;-))

My questions will of course be from a Palm/handheld syncing view, so they are
quite specific concerning the current functionality of the conduits. I
wouldn't like switching to something that - in theory - has a better and
cleaner architecture, but for the next few years will provide less features
than we currently have.

1) Do I understand it right from the ksync proposal on pim.kde.org that
kitchensync is the application that does all the communication with the
"devices" (korganizer, palm, opie, kabc, local files etc.), while ksync is
just the abstract library with the sync algorithm framework?

2) Do we have to ditch KPilot completely? So once again, once something in
kpilot seems to get stable, the underlying infrastructure changes, and
everything has to be completely rewritten from scratch.... That thought is
not very comforting to me, no matter how big the advantages of a unified sync
machinery seems.

3a) How can one sync the palm where you also have the backup record available,
so you possibly know how the record looked like (on the pc and the palm side)
after the previous sync

3b) How can one achieve a "smart merge", i.e. from the backup record the
fields which have changed on the handheld and the pc are determined, and the
fields are merged, instead of copying the whole record over.

4) How can one use plugins that just copy something to the device and don't
need any record-based sync and conflict resolution (e.g. using libmal to copy
the AvantGo content to the palm).

5) How about responsiveness of the front end? I realized there are no
QTimer::singleShot to let qt process the queue between syncing two records.
Or did I miss something?

6) How can one do the sync when you only know the changed records on one side,
but not those that stayed the same? Especially when working with serial
devices, minimizing the traffic is of very high priority, so I don't think we
should always transfer the whole calendar/todo/addressbook database from and
to the handheld (On windows to my surprise the sync of these needs only about
3 seconds. We have to compete with that ...).

7) What if the device (i.e. Palm) does not support timestamps in any form for
the records?

8) How can one achieve archived records (i.e. marked as quasi-deleted from the
palm and deleted after the sync, but they exist locally on the pc side. They
are NO LONGER synced to the device. As an example take past events. You don't
need them on the handheld any longer, but of course you don't want to loose
the history on the PC.).

9) What if one side (handheld) does not support all features the pc side
supports? I.e. the palm only has 5 phone/email fields, while you can have
many more on the pc. The two addressbook items should still correspond and
even be equal, although one side has less information available.

10) Is there a daemon or does the whole app have to be in memory? (Sorry if
this should be obvious, it was very late when I looked through the code and
wrote down these questions)

11) Is it possible to sync a list of todos where the order of the entries is
important? (Needed for the Project Manager conduits). I realize that
korganizer disregards the order of the todos currently, but other
applications might use the ics file corretly (i.e. preserving the order)

Thanks,
Reinhold