List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] XML export/import in KAddressBook
From:       Viktor Rosenfeld <rosenfel () informatik ! hu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2002-06-30 23:26:56

Hi,

Cornelius Schumacher wrote:

> > Again, I'm talking about the 3.0.1 version, I didn't look into CVS
> > yet. Question: I get make errors when building the documentation.
> > Appears to me that DocBook can't find the DTD used.  Which package
> > provides that?
>
> kdelibs/kdcotools

Not in the KDE 3 packages for Debian.  :(  Blech

> libkabc does parse the vCard directly.

Is libkabc the only library that parses vCard directly?  If so, that's
unfortunate, because of the KDE specific stuff in libkabc (e.g.
dialogs).

> If there is a XML based standard, e.g. a direct translation of the vCard
> tags to XML tags, I would consider a backend for libkabc reading and
> writing this standard format as very useful.

There's a W3C note from February of last year:
http://www.w3.org/TR/vcard-rdf

> That's why I say it's interesting, because it has some benefits. But
> from my experience with C++ and XSL I have to say that for real world
> problems in teh context of addressbook files it's more easy to do it in
> C++.

Till now, I've done my XML programming stuff with Java (again blech), so
I can't comment on the quality of the C++ libraries.  However, xalan and
xerces are available in C/C++.

Ciao,
Viktor
--