List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Re: Backing up Kaddressbook & Korganizer Data-How?
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-06-30 22:35:48

On Sunday 30 June 2002 21:42, Joseph Wenninger wrote:

> On Sunday 30 June 2002 15:43, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > On Sunday 30 June 2002 17:22, Dennis Kibbe wrote:
> > > Here's what I discovered with your help in case anyone is
> > > interested. Comments & corrections
> > > are welcomed.
> >
> > Ah, thanks a lot. We should put this in the FAQ on pim.kde.org (do
> > we have a FAQ on pim.kde.org?)
>
> Perhaps a silly question, but what about a small application, which
> extracts all important informations from local kabc resources, kmail
> configuration + mail folders  and korganizer configuration +
> calendars and creates tgz backups out of that data and allows
> restoring them (with or without merging) ?
>
> Would anyone else be interested in such a tool ? I think without
> merging it should be possibly to write such an archiver in two or
> three days. Merging can be done later on with the kitchensync
> framework.

This is a nice idea. A tool which makes a snapshot of the relevant
configuration files, so that you can e.g. setup a new account with the
same mail filters, calendar and addressbook could have been useful to
me in the past. But if something like this is written it should
probably done in some generic way, so that you don't have to hardcode
file locations or config file entries.