List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Addressbook - link to advance contacts ?
From:       David Bishop <tech () bishop ! dhs ! org>
Date:       2002-06-13 16:58:49

On Thursday 13 June 2002 10:10 am, Bryan Brunton wrote:
> << Well - that was only one quote (I don't know of any more), and you told
> us to drop kde-pim...>>
>
> I can happily provide additional quotes for you.  Or how about this: you do
> a search for my name on this list and read over all of the discussions
> between myself and Cornelius.  Did you simply not read the post where I
> said that dropping kde-pim was a joke?

I think the root cause of this confusion was your misunderstanding of what we
were asking.  Everytime *I* said "use libkabc", it was meant as "make a
libakc connector much like the one for exchange2k, where, of course, exchange
won't use libkabc for itself, but instead as a way to connect the apps".  We
(well, I did, I can't speak for anyone else, though I will) assumed that you
understood how it all worked, and what we were saying.  IIRC, the only time
someone came out and said "drop advance, work on kaddressbook", was the quote
that you came up with.  But in context, I think the meaning becomes clear:

"Instead of starting thousands of new projects you could bring
your manpower in kde-pim development. We try to create a powerfull
pim framework, and we would we glad, if you could help us."

This is just a standard "we could use all the help we can get sort of plea,
and is the closest we came to saying "drop advance, join the borg".

"But throwing away all code and move to Advance isn't the right way IMHO,
since Advanced isn't concipated as a framework for kde-pim. So please give
constructive ideas and help us bringing kdepim forward or try to develop
Advance as an alternative to kdepim."

Read as "moving to Advance isn't the right way *for the KDE project*".  And
you obviously agree (I knew you were joking before, no worries).  And read
"help us bring kdepim forward" as "help us improve libkabc, while creating
your backend to it".  If while you are creating your advance connector, you
notice something should be improved in libkabc itself, by all means, tell us!
Help us!  Note that english is not Tobias'es native tongue, so some of this
is open to interpretation :-)  <insert standard "he-speaks-better-english-
then-i'll even-speak-german" disclaimer here>

> << Users can use _any addressbook without any work for us_. But as soon as
> the addressbook should be used by KDE-applications (KMail as you want),
> there is sone maintainace work (just starting the addressbook doesn't help
> anyone).>>
>
> Actually, just starting the addressbook does help people.   Potentially
> that is the initial and only integration point that an application might
> have with the system addressbook.

No, just starting the adressbook doesn't help.  This was Adriaan point, and
why the big ruckus.  There has to be a standard way of getting the
addressbook information *back* to the application that called it.  I.e., if
all we do is launch a random app, then in effect, you're asking KMail to
replicate kicker's functionality.  It is only when the caller and callee can
actually communicate, that there is benefit.  And doing that requires code
that as a kde project, we only want to write once.  So we write it in
libkabc, rather than in KMail.  But you already knew that :-)

> Only thing is, I fail to see  the point of this discussion at this time.
> You aren't following the discussion or are failing to remember it.

All I'm saying, is that things are open to interpretation (depending on email
to communicate clearly is a fallacy).  And I would hate for you to think that
everybody (or even most people, or more than one or two people) on the list
want you to drop Advance, or change it drastically, or whatever.

Have a nice day :-)

- --
A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in.
  --Kim Alm, a.s.r