List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Addressbook - link to advance contacts ?
From:       Bryan Brunton <bryanbrun () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-06-12 17:28:51

<< Yup. We have our own agenda and are in fact beholden to noone but
ourselves. But we have this extra mantra, see, that says "patches are
always(*) welcome". The small print by the (*) says "unless it breaks
something or is unportable." Nowhere does it say "Yea, and the KDE team
shall quiver when third-party applications developers speak, and shall
scramble to provide them with Interfaces and Gadgets so that they may be
satisfied." So write a patch and be done with it!>>

The correct procedure is: (1) enquire if patch makes sense or has chance
of being accepted (2) then write patch.

Your replying to technical inquires by saying "just write a patch" is bad
communication.

<< Enough of this quasi-sarcastic crap, technical arguments below. >>

Wow, someone will actually discuss technicals on this list instead of simply
telling me to drop my application and work on libkabc!

<< This is the API we use. Live with it. Living with it means that you get
seamless integration all through KDE for free. Ignoring it means that,
gosh, even if KMail can just start your address book with a KRun call,
there's no way to get a selected address back to KMail short of
drag-n-drop, because there's no interface for it.>>

Now that I saw for myself the integration points that are required (hmm, I
remember asking about that like 6 emails back), it does make sense for me
to write a libkabc backend.  I actually looked at KMail last night (something
I couldn't do yesterday during my initial enquiry).

Specifically KMail needs to retrieve a list of contact email addresses for
address completion and selection from the dialog launched by the To: and
CC: buttons.  Why couldn't it use a simple dcop interface for this rather
than using libkabc?

However, that doesn't remove my original and more important requirement: I
need to be able to launch my own addressbook UI from KMail.  In order to do
that something like invokeAddressBook would be the best solution, even if
I had wait for KDE 4 for it to happen.  An interim solution using KRun would
also work nicely.

On a side note your arguments that people shouldn't be allowed to use an
alternate address book due to scattering of data are really ridiculous.  Why
don't you simply allow the user to take that responsibility for himself if
he wants to?

Bryan