List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Addressbook - link to advance contacts ?
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-06-11 21:56:02

On Tuesday 11 June 2002 20:50, Bryan Brunton wrote:

> If there isn't a high degree of integration and all I want to do is
> launch my addressbook or any other address book application from
> KMail besides KAddressBook, then why impose the dictum that all of
> those addressbooks need to write a libkabc backend?  That just
> doesn't make any sense.

You miss the point. KDE is a desktop environment and one of its main
points is to share code and services across applications. We had the
situation that different apps used different addressbook backends, so
that data wasn't sharable. Now that we have overcome this bad situation
we will not go back.

If you think KAddressBook doesn't fit your needs, feel free to provide
an alternative, but please use the common KDE lib as backend so that
all other apps can use the data.