List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KPIM Workspace
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2002-06-11 6:50:18

<!-- soapbox-mode -->

On Tuesday 11 June 2002 01:58, Robert Floyd wrote:
> I want separate applications to work. I'm not overly fond of Outlook at
> work, and I love the way KMail handles mailing lists and security.
> What's keeping me away from it at the moment is the address book, which
> is the heart of any PIM application(s). I suspect the 3.1 release will
> address my reservations, especially with Palm syncronization and
> category management.

Actually, Palm-syncing in KDE 3.1 is going to address *my* needs, and those of
Reinhold K. That's what OpenSource is, primarily -- developers scratching
their itches. Well, not entirely. We *do* try to make things generally
useful, and incorporate requests and wishlist items from users. But really,
people who "suspect" that things will get better and address their needs
drive me absolutely mad, sometimes. Especially when later, they whine that
things didn't happen. No offence, but this is not something I can work with.
If you want something, there are two things you can do about it:
- write a fairly detailed design document
- write some prototype code and send it in
Just wishing for stuff is not going to make it happen. I could sit here and
wish for a working USB/Visor implementation in FreeBSD all day, but it's not
going to happen unless I personally go out and hack device drivers.

<!-- /soapbox-mode>

> > Developers mostly have another point of view, so getting more response
> > from "ordinary users" would help us.
> > KDE doesn't consist of coders only. There are translators, "documetators"
> > and _users that give us feedback_. Help us by telling us your
> > suggestions/problems, and become a part of KDE :-)
>
> I'm doing what I can to become a part of KDE; last week, I proofread a
> KOrganizer tutorial. Being a compulsive anal-retentive editor, that is,
> perhaps, one way I can give back.

Woo! That _is_ a way to give back. And a very useful one, at least, if you
sent changes to the maintained of that documentation. It's good to have an
anal-retentive editor on board. Don't forget to write up what you want in
terms of Palm syncing, though.

[ade]

--
KDE on FreeBSD : freebsd.kde.org