List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KPIM Workspace
From:       Robert Floyd <r.floyd3 () verizon ! net>
Date:       2002-06-10 23:58:46

On Mon, 2002-06-10 at 03:46, Guenter Schwann wrote:

> Could you explain me why? What's the difference having the application running
> as KParts in one "shell"-application, to having running them on one desktop?

In giving some thought to Guenter's questions, I realize a
well-integrated set of applications would not necessarily require a
physical (GUI) shell. The trick is "well-integrated." As long I don't
have to cut and paste between applications, as long as the address book
is easy to use in all the applications and as long as the various apps
have a reasonably similar look and feel, separate applications can work.

I want separate applications to work. I'm not overly fond of Outlook at
work, and I love the way KMail handles mailing lists and security.
What's keeping me away from it at the moment is the address book, which
is the heart of any PIM application(s). I suspect the 3.1 release will
address my reservations, especially with Palm syncronization and
category management.

> Developers mostly have another point of view, so getting more response from
> "ordinary users" would help us.
> KDE doesn't consist of coders only. There are translators, "documetators" and
> _users that give us feedback_. Help us by telling us your
> suggestions/problems, and become a part of KDE :-)

I'm doing what I can to become a part of KDE; last week, I proofread a
KOrganizer tutorial. Being a compulsive anal-retentive editor, that is,
perhaps, one way I can give back.

My number one computing goal at home is to get my wife off AOL and onto
Linux, so I'm very motivated to help the KDE project become even better
than it already is. <g>

Thanks for all the work you're doing,
Robert Floyd
Durham, NC  USA