List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Suggestions for libkabc
From:       Mike Pilone <mpilone () slac ! com>
Date:       2002-06-10 20:08:20

On Monday 10 June 2002 02:53 pm, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> 1:
> libkabc supports the REV tag in vCard now but there are problems with
> the applications using the library.
> Normaly a new or changed Addressee is insert in the address book with
> 	AddressBook::insertAddressee( const Addressee& )
> in this method we check if it already exist and replace the available
> addressee with the new one (+ set revision date/time).
> The problem is, it only works when a copy of the original Addressee is
> insert in the AddressBook.
> Furthermore we have to extend above mentioned method to
> 	AddressBook::insertAddressee( const Addressee&, bool newEntry = false )
>
> newEntry is set to 'true' when e.g. kaddressbook insert a new created
> addressee. Only with this parameter we can distinguish if a existing
> addressee from a resource is insert or a completly new created.

Can't we determine if the addressee is already in the database? Currently
the insert method iterates all the items to try to find the matching one,
if it is not found, it is assumed as new. Will this not work elsewhere?

> In this way we should get rid of the current problems. I know it is
> diffilcult to describe and my english is not the best, so please ask if
> something is unclear.

This sounds reasonable to me. We just have to be careful that items marked
for deletion are not returned through the API. If kabc needs to keep them
internally until a save is called, that is fine, but when iterating the
addressbook, an application should not have to check if a addressee is
already deleted (and therefore not displayable).

We need to start thinking about final features for 3.1. We only have about
20 days to get new features implemented/underway. Also, the feature list on
developer.kde.org for kaddressbook is really wrong. A lot of the stuff will
not be happening for 3.1. Anyone know who is maintaining that page?

-mike

--
Mike Pilone <mpilone@slac.com>        http://www.slac.com/mpilone/personal/
GPG Fingerprint = 856C 8B36 ECF7 9156 4611  7C6B C265 05C4 162F C3B5

See http://www.slac.com/mpilone/personal/mpilone_pub_key.gpg for full key.
See http://www.gnupg.org for GPG information.