List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KPIM Workspace
From:       Tobias Koenig <tokoe82 () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2002-06-10 19:07:14

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 08:10:38PM +0200, André Somers wrote:
> On Monday 10 June 2002 19:45, Bryan Brunton wrote:
>
> > I was joking about dumping the current code base and using Advance.  If you
> > want single user PIM then kde-pim is great for that.  For example, there
> > are scalability issues with the flat file approach that kde-pim uses.
> > Saving 1000 contacts to one large vCard file isn't a good idea; its
> > difficult to search/insert/update to that file, especially in multi-user
> > environment.
> Which brings me to the question: is there a reason why all VCards are stored
> in one file, and not using one file for each contact (with an index file
> maybe)?
We have already talked about it at LinuxTag and came to no real conclusion.
Theoretical with the (hopefully) new libkabc (see my other mail) that would
be no problem.

> My guess is that it would make saving much faster, but it might slow down
Hmm, it depends on...
When accessing the filesystem multiple times, the kernel code should cache it.
Maybe we could implement it and make some benchmarks.

Nevertheless I think it should have a lesser priority atm and we should
concentrate at the framework.

Ciao,
Tobias
--