List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Further jobs on kaddressbook and random toughts
From:       Mirko Boehm <mirco.boehm () comcast ! net>
Date:       2002-06-09 2:13:49

Hey Folks,

Mike started to move forward with our address book application in KDE. His
newly implemented features are impressive and a big improvement over what we
had before.

I added the view of kab to kaddressbook and further developed the printing
framework Mike started. Since both parts are done in their basics, I was
wondering what is left that should be implemented before the feature freeze
for KDE 3.1, which is announced the be on July 1.

I have a number of ideas I would like to implement:
- - To be more consistent with both the kaddressbook and the overall KDE user
  interface, the incremental search should be moved into a toolbar (of its
  own). Have a look at its location, the interface elements it provides etc.
  Fits perfectly in a toolbar. The fact that we have an option to have it
  displayed or not leads to the idea that it should be one.
  I can do this.
- - The filter code is pretty powerful, but it does not give itself to the
  average joe that easy. I would like to provide at least a predefined filter
  that - without having to be created and always available - allows to only
  display a selected category of users. This is what other comparable
  applications and Palms, for example, do. This feature should work without
  decent changes to the filter manager. What do you think? This could be a
  toolbar, too, to simplify the user interface even more.
- - I would like to get rid of the detailed view. It's only worth of existence
  is to have the option to display the contents of a selected contact besides
  the table. This is is a rather common and used way of doing things. Have a
  look at konqueror - you select a folder on the left and see its details on
  the right. I would like to modify the view manager to display the details on
  a contact right of the selection. With an option to hide the details, this
  would be a nice feature.
- - I would like to generalize the extended search feature provided by the
  detailed view. What it does is to look up a pattern in different fields of
  the contacts and displays a list of positive results. This way you find my
  contact when typing "mi" - the code would look up in the first names and
  find an entry that matches (along with others, possibly). This is pretty
  fuzzy and powerful. Since it needs some space (for the list of results), it
  cannot be done in a toolbar.
  I would do this, too.

I am very interested in your comments and ideas. Also I would like you to have
a look at the printing code in its current stage and report your thoughts.

CU,

- --Mirko.
- --
You can't ride a horse without a horse. --Elmo.