List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] RFC libksync
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-29 13:41:40

On Thursday 23 May 2002 00:13, Holger Freyther wrote:
> Am Wednesday 22 May 2002 23:36 schrieb Cornelius Schumacher:
>
> > > it should include all necessary metainformations( id
> > > replacement )
> >
> > You can't replace ids. If an entry has an id, syncing musn't alter
> > it. Otherwise things like group scheduling get broken.
>
> In cases of Opie uids you may alter it. Group scheduling isn't a
> problem. Could you explain it a bit more.

In vCalendar and iCalendar the unique id is required to be globally
unique and musn't be changed after an event has been created. This
allows to identify events even across systems and after sending via
email.

For group scheduling the id is used to associate events with reponses to
scheduling messages. E.g. if you send a proposal for a meeting to some
people and you get back a counterporposal or a confirmation, it's
possible to associate the response with the original request.

I believe that no syncing code should rely on being able to change the
id or to store extra information in the synced entries in any other
way, because this will break if there are restrictions on the synccees
side that don't allow that.