List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Multiple Resources in kabc
From:       Mike Pilone <mpilone () slac ! com>
Date:       2002-05-22 12:54:44

Well,

It looks like people are starting to look at developing multiple resources
for kabc, so this raises the question of how to properly use them.

My thought was to implement a kcmodule to allow the user to choose the
resource. This would be either File, SQL, or LDAP. For starters we would
only allow a single resource (for r/w). This would be saved in a kabcrc
file and would be honored by the StdAddressBook::instance() method to load
the proper resources. This would allow all applications using kabc to
transparently support LDAP, SQL, File, etc.

Once this is functional, it would be nice to add multiple read resources and
a single write resource. This would allow users to have a local addressbook
they can add to, and a company wide addressbook for reading only (as an
example).

Does this sound reasonable to everyone else?
-mike

--
Mike Pilone <mpilone@slac.com>        http://www.slac.com/mpilone/personal/
GPG Fingerprint = 856C 8B36 ECF7 9156 4611  7C6B C265 05C4 162F C3B5

See http://www.slac.com/mpilone/personal/mpilone_pub_key.gpg for full key.
See http://www.gnupg.org for GPG information.