List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Filling the Formatted Name when editing the entry
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-21 12:36:37

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 13:55, Mirko Boehm wrote:
> Mike Pilone wrote:
> > On Monday 20 May 2002 08:33 am, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > > The formatted name field should be automatically filled based on the
> > > other name fields and on a global KAddressbook setting how it should be
> > > constructed (e.g. "firstname lastname" or "lastname, firstname") unless
> > > it is explicitly set to something different. I don't think it should
> > > ever be empty, but should try to give the best short representation of
> > > who the addressee is.
> >
> > I definately agree.
>
> I do not :-)
>
> If you do want to use the field like this, we have to rename it from
> FormattedName. If I understand the vCard RFC right, it is not the short
> representation of the contact, but an override. Think of Chinese people
> that have a different order of firstname-lastname. Those might use the
> formattedname field to specify how the name is displayed right and this
> spelling should be used everywhere. Makes sense when you have 100 Europeans
> and one Chinese in your database.

You misunderstood what I meant with "short". I completely agree with what you
say in the paragraph above. With "short" I meant "displayable in a line edit"
in contrast to a complete business card or something like that.

> As long as the user does not want to specify a special spelling, the field
> is supposed not to exist  in the vCard, right?

Yes, but that doesn't mean that we can't display the formatted name in the GUI
also when it can be constructed from the other name fields.

> For what you would like to use it for, I think, X-KAddressBook-FileAs would
> be more consistent.

I don't think that this is necessary.

--
Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher.kde.org>