List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] gnomecard vs. kaddressbook (addresseeeditordialog)
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-21 11:48:53

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 13:01, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 07:19:44PM +0000, Don Sanders wrote:
> >
> > Adding more tabs would make it harder for the user to find and enter
> > information.
>
> [Identity][Network][Addresses][Phone][Geographical][Explanatory][Security]
>
> I think the above tab labels wouldn't confuse the user, because they
> structure the information fields a lot more than the current version.

The problem with tabs is that you need an extra click if the control isn't on
the current tab. When you have many tabs as in your example and the size of
the dialog isn't sufficient you even need more clicks to scroll to the tab
before you can click it. That's very annoying. I don't think more than three
or four tabs make sense. If we need more something like the janus widget
might be better. The structuring of the information can also be done within
the tabs.

> > Unless there is a good reason for doing so such a change should be
> > avoided.
>
> I missing input fields for geographical data (Geo & TimeZone) and also
> the security data (PGP public key) would be a interesting completion to
> kabc/kaddressbook. To add these input fields to kaddressbook we would
> need a new tab in any case (adding everything to 'Details' is no clean
> way). So why not structure it completly?

I would also like to see these input fields in KAddressBook, but what's the
problem with putting them on the Details tab? Geographical infos are details.
The PGP key would perhaps fit better near the email addresses.

--
Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher.kde.org>