List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] KAddressBook Filtering RFC
From:       Mike Pilone <mpilone () slac ! com>
Date:       2002-05-07 0:01:28

On Monday 06 May 2002 07:06 pm, Anders Lund wrote:
> Do you mean I get to have a filter collection, and then when defining a
> view, I select a previously defined filter rather than adding rules
> directly?

I think that could be added later, but yes. You would say 'This view should
use filter X', where X is the name of the view defined at an application
level.

> Or that it should be transperant to the user, as in she can use either a
> predefined filter or add rules, which will then beconme a filter?

Well, a filter is just a collection of rules. There will most likely be only
one possible rule in the first implementation, which will be 'Has selected
category' or 'Doesn't have selected category'.

> I think Mike's idear is to create a class that works on the KAddressbook,
> and make that class available from the view dialog.

I think a good compromise is to have a single set of Filters defined and
named at an application level. The views can then have an option to default
to a predefined filter. This means only one 'Family' filter needs to be
setup at the application level, but it can be used in any view. Most of the
time you will even have one view that uses the 'Family' filter as a
default.

I recommend you checkout korganizer (even from KDE 3.0). It has the same
general filtering functionality that I think we are looking for. This is
another great chance to share a dialog if we can.

-mike

--
Mike Pilone <mpilone@slac.com>        http://www.slac.com/mpilone/personal/
GPG Fingerprint = 856C 8B36 ECF7 9156 4611  7C6B C265 05C4 162F C3B5

See http://www.slac.com/mpilone/personal/mpilone_pub_key.gpg for full key.
See http://www.gnupg.org for GPG information.