List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Say hello and a proposal...
From:       "Carlos Fernandez Moro" <cfmoro () correo ! uniovi ! es>
Date:       2002-02-25 4:41:21

> Carlos,

    Hi, Frans,
> I have just started investigating the date stuff aswell, mainly at first
> try and get a patch (for the version 3 release) going that will allow
people
> that use other calendars to also create holiday files and have them
displayed
> in KOrganizer in the current Gregorian calendar.

    That's very good...

> I wanted to
> design the holiday plugin in such a way that it can automatically convert
> from one calendar format to another and return the holidays for a given
date
> in any format supported.  As such it does seem intelligent to create some
> kind of implementation like you described in option 3.  But, I like you do
> not have much experience with QT and KDE, so we will probably have to wait
> for Cornelius and the other maintainers to give some imput ;-)

    Perfect  ;)
    That's de idea. Dates would be converted through, for example. KHDate
KGDate.toHijri() and KGDate KHDate.toGregorian(), both KGDate and KHDate
extending general purpose abstract KDate. You could work with them to, for
example, display the period of holidays in whatever calendar system and make
conversion between them...

> In my mind it would be best if you could set a date in the Gregorian
format,
> and then retrieve the equivalent date in the Hijri, Chinese or Hellenic
date
> format or any othher way around (conversion happens automatically). If
that
> is possible you can switch your view between Gregorian, Chinese, or
Hellenic
> (or whatever) in KOrganizer, and even keep all your holidays too.  It
would
> also be possible to display more than one calendar system in the day month
or
> week view.

    A simple process could be the following: the calendar takes the type of
calendar as a macro in the contructor, suppose KDE_CALENDAR_HIJRI. The
widget get the date through ordinary date c function (that is in gregorian)
and creates a temporary KGDate that we use to produce corresponding KHDate
through her .toHijri() function. The new resulting one  will be  the KDate
(through upcasting) we could use in the rest of the widget, intead of actual
QDate.
    For second milestone, it would be possible and not hard to program
displaying more than one calendar system at once... it might be quite
useful...

> Does any of this make sense?

    It makes pure sense ;)

            Best luck