List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Say hello and a proposal...
From:       Frans de Wet <Frans () de-Wet ! com>
Date:       2002-02-25 3:24:19

Carlos,

I have just started investigating the date stuff aswell, mainly at first to
try and get a patch (for the version 3 release) going that will allow people
that use other calendars to also create holiday files and have them displayed
in KOrganizer in the current Gregorian calendar.

I am still trying to figure all of this calendar stuff out, so if I am
confusing matters please let me know.

It seems like my efforts and yours might intertwine some if, after I finish
the patch, I continue implementing some of my ideas for the saving,
configuring, and retrieving holidays for display purposes.  I wanted to
design the holiday plugin in such a way that it can automatically convert
from one calendar format to another and return the holidays for a given date
in any format supported.  As such it does seem intelligent to create some
kind of implementation like you described in option 3.  But, I like you do
not have much experience with QT and KDE, so we will probably have to wait
for Cornelius and the other maintainers to give some imput ;-)

In my mind it would be best if you could set a date in the Gregorian format,
and then retrieve the equivalent date in the Hijri, Chinese or Hellenic date
format or any othher way around (conversion happens automatically). If that
is possible you can switch your view between Gregorian, Chinese, or Hellenic
(or whatever) in KOrganizer, and even keep all your holidays too.  It would
also be possible to display more than one calendar system in the day month or
week view.

Does any of this make sense?

Frans de Wet