List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] KPilot Developer's notes for jan. 25th
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2002-01-25 21:31:43

KPilot Developer's notes for january 25th 2002

Found my Pilot again, made tea, thought about Dag's and Neil's comments
on ColdSync (I still believe that ColdSync has the drawback that it's not
meant to be a library you can build on, it resembles the pilot-xfer tools
much more than anything else). Grepped for dlp_ in the sources. They seem
fairly isolated, which is good -- maybe we *can* move to some other Pilot
access method.

Looked at some old sources. *uuuuugly*. PilotRecord, PilotAppCategory,
PilotTodoEntry, etc. could use a good dose of sanity.

2002-01-21  Adriaan de Groot
* conduits/vcalconduit/*
  - Some serious rewriting going on.
* kpilot/hotSync.cc
  - Removed old KPilotLink code
  - Moved calls from dlp_OpenConduit to KPilotDeviceLink::openConduit()
* lib/syncAction.h lib/kpilotlink.{h,cc}
  - Added openConduit to abstract the underlying lib interface more.
* kpilot/logWidget.cc
  - suppress empty log lines.
* lib/pilotLocalDatabase.{h,cc}
  - Added a hook for UserCheck to set the default search path for
    databases opened by name only.

It's time to say hi, welcome, and thanks to a couple of new people on
the KPilot / kde-pim team. There's Chris Abiad, who has already made his
presence felt on the mailing list. Thanks for fielding questions for
me, Chris, and stalling on the question of when the next release is.
Chris will also be maintaining the website. Next up is Stephanie Bryant,
a writer of technical documentation. She'll be helping me document the
various files in kpilot/lib so that they actually form an understandable
and usable API for third-party conduit-writers. Philipp Hullmann, you
should be overjoyed to hear this :) Once she's practiced on KPilot, Steph
will be leaving us for kdelibs, where weird and wonderful things await ...

2002-01-25  Adriaan de Groot
* *.ui
  - Danimo was wondering why we use ToolTips everywhere instead of WhatsThis.
    My answer was "because we knew about QToolTip before QWhatsThis." Anyway,
    switching over to the correct form of on-line help is a simple search-
    and-replace thing. So that has happened. David, can you keep that in
    mind as well?
* kpilot/pilotDaemon.{h,cc} kpilot/Icons/
  - Minor changes to get the daemon's icons to display properly.
  - Woo.. the busysync icon is *ugly*. Partly fixed, and I hope Kristof
    can do something about it sometime. Really we need the icon in 4 rotated
    states (well, maybe 2) to indicate activity during the sync.
  - Of course the daemon was exiting after each sync .. I forgot to initialize
    fQuitAfterSync (which isn't used, BTW, except if you use DCOP to call
    quitNow()) to false.
* kpilot/kpilot.cc
  - Forgot to inform daemon of changing settings.
* kpilot/syncStack.cc
  - All conduits now put *something* in the Sync log.