List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] phpGroupWare
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-23 7:39:31

On Tuesday 22 January 2002 16:39, Cuendet JeanEric wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm interested to write a plugin to connect to phpGroupWare from KDE.

It would be great to have something like that.

> The idea is:
> - bridge phpGroupWare-Notes -> KNotes
> - bridge phpGroupWare-EMail -> KMail
> - bridge phpGroupWare-Calendar -> KOrganizer
> - bridge phpGroupWare-Tasks -> KTasks (name?)

That's also in KOrganizer.

> - bridge phpGroupWare-Adressbook -> KAB

That's now kabc, the new addressbook backend.

> Does the KDE-PIM gurus think that it's possible to do?

It's certainly possible.

> Is there a plugin architecture for providers of PIM data?

There currently is no common plugin architecture for all the apps.

For KOrganizer you have two alternatives:
1) Write a KIO slave that accesses the phpGroupware server and converts
the data to iCalendar, so that KOrganizer can read it. This does not
require any changes of KOrganizer and works transparently in the
background. It might be useful to write a plugin for KOrganizer, that
provides some menu entries to conveniently use the KIO slave without
having to know about the details of the URL used by the slave.
2) Write a calendar backend that accesses the phpGroupware server.
Currenlty there is only the backend for file storage (CalendarLocal).
The interface is defined in the class Calendar. If you would add
another subcalss of Calendar, say CalendarPhpGroupware and would
implement the functions to get/load/save calendar entries, this could
be used in KOrganizer without changing anything else.

For the other applications there are probably similar solutions,
although my might need some more work on the apps.