List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] NEW RELEASE: KDE Directory Administrator v0.2
From:       Patrick Patterson <ppatterson () carillonis ! com>
Date:       2002-01-16 18:26:08

Hi David:

Yes, Browsing is currently supported ;) (both anonymous, and authenticated)

There are a couple of ways of checking what the base DN for your tree is:

1: If you have access to your openLDAP server, in the slapd.conf file there
should be a line:

suffix          "o=whatever"

(you might also see: "dc=micron,dc=com" as that would be the "correct" RFC
compliant rendering of your current setup).

2: Try browsing there with conqueror:

LDAP://your.ldap.server.here/your_base_DN_here

for instance:

LDAP://dir.carillonis.com/dc=carillonis,dc=com

works to get a listing of my tree....

If o=micron.com works in the last case above, please get back to me, as this
would definitely be a bug in KDirAdm.

What you should see when you have successfully connected, is shown in the
screenshot at:

http://www.carillonis.com/kdiradm/screenshot.png

(That's a screen shot against the Debian LDAP server @ dir.debian.org)

If you need any further help, let me know.

Pat.

On Wednesday 16 January 2002 13:00, David Bishop wrote:
> > Current Features supported by KDirAdm:
> >
> > LDIF Import (needs more testing)
> > LDIF Export
> > User Entity Creation/Modification/Deletion
> > Organisational Unit Creation/Deletion
> >
> > Comments, suggestions, wishlist items and patches may be sent to
> > the project co-ordinator at : ppatterson@carillonis.com
>
> I assume that is also "Browsing"?  I fired up kdiradm, plugged in the
> appropriate values (afaict), clicked on "connect", selected my server, and
> sat looking at an empty list of distinguished names.  The base dn I used is
> the same that I use in apache for our password services (o=micron.com)
> though I also tried (ou=mtgroups,o=micron.com).  My next attempt was using
> the same info, but taking out my username/password combo (i.e., anonymous).
> Currently, that seems to cause it to "hang" (i.e., no response, and no
> redraw of the screen).  I *think* we use openldap on our server, if that
> matters. Anyways, I can't get it to work in the least.  Is there something
> blatantly obvious that I am overlooking?  TIA and HAND.

- --

Patrick Patterson			Tel: (514) 485-0789
Chief Security Architect		Fax: (514) 485-4737
Carillon Information Security Inc.	E-Mail: ppatterson@carillonIS.com
		The New Sound of Network Security
		     http://www.carillonIS.com