List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] kpilot gui
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-12-30 22:14:27

Well, since you have an e-mail address of duncan@kdedevelopers.net, I
imagine you're a developer, and that you know how to send a patch. So do
it. You know all about UI design? Then write to kde-usability@kde.org.

<message type="still a little grumpy">
On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett wrote:
> The program worked great as in features ( a bit unstable), but the GUI was
> so bad designed I switched to jpilot.

Well for the most part the KPilot UI is for configuring the daemon and the
conduits but -- and this is important -- it has some *rudimentary*
viewers for memos and addresses. It may get a generalized hex viewer
later.

> I dont know the status of the gui right now, but if it is still the same, why
> not imitate the classic Palm Desktop / J-Pilot / Aethera GUI? (im talking

Because we're a *sync* app, not a datebook app or a contacts list or
whatnot. There are other applications for doing the viewing and
manipulating of you pilot data; kpilot is about getting the data from the
pilot to those applications.

> about trashing that uggly picture and start with the Datebook in the main

The ugly pic now disappears after 5 sec; I'm not gonna trash Mike's
artwork from 1996 on a whim (although I've worked on new splash screens
that show less aged pilots). And if you do it right, you'll never have to
see kpilot at all, just the little hotsync symbol for the daemon.

Anyway, take a look at a current KPilot version (ie. 4.3.0 from CVS HEAD,
there's no packages anywhere and no tarballs either) and then let's talk.
</message>

<signature>
[ade]
</signature>