List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Interuser communication with DCOP
From:       Mark Westcott <mark () houseoffish ! org>
Date:       2001-12-21 18:49:18

Hi all,

I am looking to do some inter user communication with DCOP, as is documented
on developer.kde.org.  I'm doing the root backend/user priveledges front end
thing, on KDE 3 (HEAD from cvs)

The docs state:

ICEAUTHORITY=~user/.ICEauthority kdesu root -c kcmroot -dcopserver `cat
~user/.DCOPserver`

is the way to do this.  However, this no longer works - firstly, as you'll
know, the .DCOPserver file is stored as .DCOPserver_systemname_display ID.
This is not really a problem, as I can use the DCOPClient::dcopServerFile to
get this.  Also, 'cat ~/.DCOPserver' produces two lines of output, the first
being the path to the dcop server. This though, can also be got round

However, even with all this changed, the command still does not work:

ICEAUTHORITY=/home/mark/.ICEauthority kdesu root -c kate --dcopserver
local/mark-debian:/tmp/.ICE-unix/dcop563-1008786730

is what I'm running just for testing purposes.  Kate runs as root, but then a
error message comes up 'There was an error setting up inter-process
communications for KDE.  The message returned by the system was:
Authentication Rejected, reason: None of the authentication protocols
specified and supported and host-based authentication failed'.

This is half a bug report and half a plea for help!

Many Thanks

Mark