List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] phpGroupWare
From:       Nick Papadonis <nick () coelacanth ! com>
Date:       2001-12-19 17:07:30

Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher@kde.org> writes:
> > phpGrouoWare is a GPL project that achieve a GroupWare server providing:
> > - email
> > - Calendar
> > - Notes
> > - TODO
> > - Much more...
> > - All that can be shared among workers!
> > All that is available through PHP web pages but also through XMLRPC.
>
> Do you have some example code how to access a phpGroupware Server via XMLRPC?
>
> If there is a decent interface how to access the data on the server, e.g.
> creating a Korganizer plugin for accessing phpGroupware wouldn't be too
> difficult, I would guess.

Cornelius,

I think things like this would fit nicely into a KSYNC plugin as
follows (beat me in the head for not shutting up about this) :

        DATA PROXY              <-->    KORGANIZER

        KSYNC                   <-->    KORGANIZER PLUGIN
        KSYNC                   <-->    PHP GROUPWARE PLUGIN
        KSYNC                   <-->    PALM PLUGIN

A simple syncronize click would syncronize the groupware server.  Is this
desired, or is real time update desired from Korganizer as records
change?

If anyone backs the above ideas, I have motivation to implement the
data proxy and integrate it with Korganizer.  This would occur
over Christmas time off and right after New Years.

Things I would need input on:

        - Picking a database backend
                * Is a server client database (PostgresSQL) desirable?
                * Is a one hosted lightweight database (db) desirable?

        - Creating a schema for all the data we need to store
                * What data does each application need to store?

I propose the following immediate milestones:

        - Implement the data proxy

        - Test the data proxy

        - Modify Korganizer to store all data using the data proxy

        - Test Korganizer

Future milestones:

        - Develop Korganizer IPC plugin

        - Add IPC to Korganizer to use Korganizer Plugin

Any comments welcome.

- Nick