List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Proposal: KSharedFile
From:       Ingo Assenmacher <ingo.assenmacher () post ! rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       2001-12-13 12:29:40

Hi Nick!

Am Donnerstag, 13. Dezember 2001 02:43 schrieben Sie:
> Ingo Assenmacher <mlists@cognitivemicrosystems.net> writes:
>
> Your argument for using a database is so multiple (not same
> machine) clients to have access to a shared IM repository.
>
> I claim this is needed, but not my reasons for choosing a database backend.
>
> The immediate need of a database backend would allow:
>
>         - Ease of data exchange between multiple PIM applications.
>
>         - Ability to perform atomic operations on data records.
>
>         - Data storage that would easily facilitate changes in the type
>           information stored. (Upgrades to Korganizer? A new PIM
> application)
>
>         - Clean method of storage with clear API for retreiving and
>           setting information
>
>         - A centralized place to store a user's critical information.
>           *Sidenote: When I use Outlook, I like how it stores all data
>                      in a db file called outlook.pst.  I back this up
>                      and I am sure all my PIM data was backed up.

Right, besides the points for a pooled-data storage, most of the above RQ are
met by using vCal-standard, is it not? This is supported by at least 99% of
the PIM apps existing (most probably 100%).
Some points have to be done manually, but are possible.

> Anyway, I'm probabally preaching about something I don't have time to
> implement now.  I'm already in the middle codign a GPL'd IEEE 1149.1 JTAG
> programmer. :)

Right, I am busy, too. So I constrainted myself to look into this over and
after christmas. Happy coding to you.

Regards, Ingo.