List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] Re: no calendar server
From:       Nick Papadonis <nick () coelacanth ! com>
Date:       2001-12-12 19:07:08

Ingo Assenmacher <ingo.assenmacher@post.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> Hi Nick,
>

> Am Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2001 17:07 schrieb Nick Papadonis:
>
> > If someone succeeds in creating a Data Proxy to the database, we would
> > then effectively have a calender server.  The running database acts as
> > a server to the data proxy libraries.
> >
> > No?
>
> I do not know if the term "Calendar Server" is overloaded.

Ok... we might have descriptive names wrong here. :)

Lets scrap the word 'Calendar Server' then.

I would think the PIM database as the PIM Server, the PIM Data Proxy
as the PIM client.

Korganizer could facilitate IPC to work with a Korganizer plugin for Ksync.
Effectively, Korganizer itself uses the PIM Data Proxy libraries to
minipulate the database.

The calendar is resolved in Ksync.

Again:

2. Have syncronization with the data proxy happen in Korganizer
   - Ksync uses IPC to retrieve/set information in Korganizer
   - The is a Korganizer IPC PLUGIN for Ksync
   - When IPC calls are received in Korganizer, data can be updated
     real-time in the display.
   - Korganizer itself will communicate with the data proxy.

   Data Flow for option #2:
        DATA PROXY              <-->    KORGANIZER

        KORGANIZER PLUGIN       <-->    KSYNC
        KSYNC                   <-->    PALM PLUGIN

> If the term does mean an industrial strength solution, I do not know what
> that would include for us to think about (as I do not know any standard in
> that field...).
> Additionally I would continue to refer to the dbase approach (which I still
> consider valuable) as "dbase-approach" and to the industrial standard as
> "Calendar Server".
Industrial strength? Hmmm... I think you are interpeting the word
Calendar Server as a group point for scheduling data.  I see.

Let just forget the word and keep with 'dbase'. :)

Nick