List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] was: KSharedFile
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-12 10:51:50

On Tuesday 11 December 2001 20:01, Ingo Assenmacher wrote:

> See, I looked into the code to see where the CalendarLocal-object was
> instatiated and was beriddled. I was thinking of transparently
> sneaking in a db-object without changing too much of the code. In
> addition I imagined that there might pe people out there who really
> wanted to use an existing Calendar-Server with a "real" protocol
> might be interested in integrating that kind of code. So I thought of
> a transparent solution to all connected entities. That was the
> purpose of the sketch.

Ok, that's exactly what I had in mind, when separating the Calendar
interface from the CalendaLocal implementation. Would be great, if
sombody would do a second implementation of Calendar for a
database-backend.

> Neither do I intend to use a calendar-server nor to invent one ;)

Having a real calendar server could be a great improvement for
scheduling. Unfortunately there are no open-source solutions available.
But this is well beyond the scope of KDE anyway.

> > Yes, as said before, a database backend for calendar data based on
> > the Qt database classes would be great. But this would also mean
> > quite some additions in the GUI parts of KOrganizer, so it will not
> > be done on a weekend ;-)
>
> I was not expecting this to happen over a weekend, that is why I try
> to ask and document my ideas so I can gather comments on this.
> Thank you for your comment here.
> I consider this discussion to be very fruitfull.

Yes, I agree. Now I hope it can result in some code ;-).