List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] was: KSharedFile
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-12-12 10:37:49

On Tuesday 11 December 2001 19:11, Nick Papadonis wrote:
> Holger Freyther <freyther@gmx.net> writes:
> >
> > We will (soon) have KitchenSync. So what you would then have to
> > write is a plugin for KitchenSync for fetching and writing to a
> > databse. In combination with KSharedFile it will be save to write
> > to the files.
>
> I lack information regarding KitchenSync.  Where can I find it?  What
> does it/will it do?

Originally KitchenSync was Adriaans attempt to define a generic
framework for handling syncing the KDE desktop apps with mobile
devices. Two weeks ago Holger proposed something similar under the name
SyncServer. He agreed to continue with the name KitchenSync.

KitchenSync will provide a framework for syncing mobile devices with
the various desktop apps. It will take care of things like handling
access to communication ports and providing interfaces for device- or
app-specific conduits.

Techically I would see KitchenSync as a normal KDE GUI application,
which sits in the system tray or is started on demand, and can be
extended by plugins to support different devices and desktop apps (and
the associated data types). The actual syncing would be done by
libksync. Apps like KPilot and Kandy would become plugins for
KitchenSync.

The main design goal should be to cleanly separate the code for the
different aspects of syncing: Device specifics, communication handling,
data types and syncing algorithms.