List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Proposal: KSharedFile
From:       Nick Papadonis <nick () coelacanth ! com>
Date:       2001-12-11 20:02:09

Ingo Assenmacher <ingo.assenmacher@post.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> Am Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2001 18:03 schrieb Cornelius Schumacher:
> > On Tuesday 11 December 2001 08:21, Nick Papadonis wrote:
>
> > Don't forget that the flat file storage is already implemented.
> > KSharedFile is just a simple additional class to add some support for
> > concurrent access as it is required for our syncing stuff. We are
> > talking about something like 100 lines of code, most of them already
> > existing somewhere else.
> >
> > To introduce a database would add much more complexity, more code and
> > would require a lot more work.
>
> Right, but it is not the same goal we have here. Using a database would be
> useful for inter-host exchange (and more general than using NFS as that might
> not be available for any setup) and more. I have come up with that view in
> the last days, so my original aim may have been a bit different.

You are referring to how Outlook can access company public calendars and contact lists?

Correct?

If so, a database EASILY solves this issue.  A client accessible
database is needed to allow KPIM to display group shared data.
KSharedFile will not acheive this goal.

The issue I was focusing on was ease of development.  Using a
data proxy would allow all applications easy integration to a common
data store.  The database engine (already coded and tested) would take
care of concurrent transactions to make sure they are atomic.

In syncronization, the data proxy could put a temporary mutex on the
db so correct sync occurs.

To me, using a database is the clear solution.  This is dependent on
the skill of the person devloping the data proxy.  It also is
dependent on that person existing and offering help.

If they can create a good schema and proper methods/queries for
extracting/storing data, data access will be certain in development.

- Nick