List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] KPilot developer
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-11-30 16:05:08

Typical after a week at a conference:

[509 messages expunged from folder "INBOX"]

so I'm catching up on lots of mail. I'll try to respond to each thread
that's relevant for me below:

Strange calendar conduit
========================

I assume Andre was really referring to version 4.2.3, since 4.3 is at the
0a stage as yet and has no conduits at all. So in his system, the
calendars sync in an even werider way than most others. No idea what to do
about it, but I'll get the code in the vcal conduit an extra once-over
when I get to it.

Craig's User Question
=====================

Um, I forget where that comes from. I think it's a function of what you
set the Pilot owner to in the system prefs. My Pilot thinks it's owned by
me, and afaik the system owner is the only place my name shows up.

KPilot version 4.3.x
====================

There are no tarballs or anything available for this version. You will
have to get a snapshot of kdepim and pull KPilot out of there. I may get
around to releasing tarballs again, but only once at least one conduit
works. If you're getting CVS in a working 2.2 environment, then do

	cvs co -r KDE_2_2_BRANCH kdepim
	rm -rf kdepim/kpilot
	cvs co kdepim/kpilot

to get the HEAD branch of kpilot in the context of the 2.2 kdepim.

m500 & m505
===========

KPilot version 4.2.x has poor to no USB support; 4.3 has it. But the m505
uses a different sync protocol -- I believe even over the serial line --
and just doesn't work with pilot-link reliably.

It wouldn't be too hard to backport the USB stuff to KPilot 4.2 -- just
copy the technique used in kitchensync -- but I'm not going to do it any
time soon, since there's 4.3 to work on.

Kitchensync and RFC

Kitchensync can be considered a placeholder for some general sync setup.
It's a cool name, mostly. And as Cornelius has already pointed out,
(lib)ksync handles a lot of stuff in a sensible fashion and should be used
by KPilot as well (gah! yeat another API to learn)

[ade]

(now going to cook dinner and hack afterwards)