List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] RFC ideas for syncing with mobile units
From:       Holger Freyther <freyther () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-11-29 21:12:53

Am Donnerstag, 29. November 2001 21:30 schrieb David Eriksson:
> At 20:20 2001-11-29 +0100, you wrote:
> >Actually I want to go for the big thing. I think it won't fit in kde3.0
> > but maybe it'll be finished for kde3.1 or even later. It think it's the
> > best way. It's better than trying to extend some stuff with the need of
> > not breaking bic during it's lifetime ( reminds me to get something like
> > the interfaces
> >
> >>from com+ ). I think my approach will be a lot cleaner when it's
> >> finished.
> >
> >Currently I'm creating container classes for todo, schedule... and trying
> > to get the dcop sending to work. And I'm also learning how to synchronize
> > with my agenda (it's using rsync over ppp as far as I know ).
>
> I hate to sound like I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning,
> but having too grand plans is a key to never getting something finished
> (unless you're Gutzon Borglum or similar).
> Maybe I have read too much Kent Beck and Martin Fowler, but my advice is
> something like:
>
> (1) Prioritize the functionality you want
I want an extendable yet powerful single api for all applications to sync
data( todo, contacts, or what comes netxt) with a mobile unit( cell phone,
pda, even a different computer) without breaking bic or the design if i try
to add more functionanlity.
> (2) Design for and implement the most important functionality
currently I'm implementing the container classes and the necessary
serialization for dcop and the first plugin for my agenda
> (3) Update the prioritizations
try to get more pdas, cell phones from others :) to assure they're working
quite nicely. Make KOrganizer to use libsync
> (4) Add the most important functionality, and re-design as needed
Becuase of a good design when released 1.0 there will be little need to
redesign (hopefully)
> (5) Goto 3
>
> Or maybe I'll just shut up... :-)
.... :)