List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Kpilot problem :  sync is hanging after the "reading
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-11-20 8:15:18

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Gyula Kerekes wrote:
> since I've installed KDE 2.2 ( and later 2.2.1 ) about two months ago. I have
> serious problems using Kpilot, syncronizing hangs after the "reading user
> information" message. This bug was also mentioned on the kpilot site ( in the

I've still never been able to reproduce this. I don't know what causes it,
which basically makes it impossible *to* fix. It's bugs like this that
have prompted the rewrite of KPilot, because so many things in the old
codebase are so weird.

> news section and not under bugs), unfortunately I couldn't find any hints how
> to solve this problem. I've already wanted to try the CVS tree, but

cvs co -r KDE_2_2_BRANCH kdepim
rm -rf kdepim/kpilot
cvs co kdepim/kpilot

This will get you the KDE 2 version of the kde-pim suite, and then replace
KPilot with the version from CVS HEAD. KPilot from HEAD doesn't need Qt3
or KDE3 to compile, it remains source compatible with KDE2 (it's the
configure script from kdepim HEAD that complains about older qt versions,
that's why you have to get the KDE 2 version of the rest of kdepim).

> packages. Is there any solution without recompiling everything ?

It's not much of a solution, since the HEAD version *is* a rewrite that's
part-way to completion. It will make a backup and restore your Pilot as
well, but that's about it. All the conduits have major issues that are
slowing the transition down (ie. the mail conduit should use IOslaves to
do its work, but I don't know a thing about how to use IOslaves).

> I'm very thankfull for the job all involved people do, but I'm a little
> disappointed, when such a bug (kpilot is perfectly useless with it ) is known
> in a stable version, and no official bugfix is released ( even more than two
> month later).

So send a patch.

Thus saith the Open-Source developer with too little time on his hands,
[ade]