List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] installing kde 2.2.1 unofficial over kde 2.1 on RedHat 7.1
From:       David Bishop <david () bishop ! dhs ! org>
Date:       2001-10-29 2:13:22

While I haven't used an rpm-based distro in a while, I think the command you
are looking for is "rpm --force" or "rpm --nodeps" (can't remember which
one).  Undoubtably, someone will followup this post with a "argh! That will
destroy the inherited vectorness of the unique quantum flux database!" or
somesuch.  Feel free to ignore them :-)  Or, if installing redhat 7.2 is an
option, take the same time to learn how to install debian and enjoy the
saneness of a real distro.

Hrrm.  The flames aren't rolling in fast enough.  I'll add more fuel to the
fire.  Vi rules! Emacs sucks!

Ah, there we go.  Now where did my bag of marshmallows go.......

*grin*

On Sunday 28 October 2001 08:04 pm, Aron Insinga wrote:
> I'm having trouble installing kde 2.2.1 unofficial RedHat 7.1 packages over
> kde 2.1.  I found all of the packages needed to supply missing
> stuff.  I removed the LPRng packages.  Now I get lots of messages of the
> form:
>
> file /usr/include/kde/arts/artsbuilder.h from install of
> kdemultimedia-devel-2.2-0.rh7x.1 conflicts with file from package
> kdemultimedia-2.1.1-1
>
> through
>
> file /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/kfind.png from install of
> kdeutils-2.2-0.rh7x.1 conflicts with file from package kdeutils-2.1.1-1
>
> What do I do?  Boot single-user command-prompt and remove all of the kde
> 2.1 packages first?  Is there anything safe and less painful?  (Maybe I
> should just get a RedHat 7.2 distribution and start over in a new
> partition...)
>
> [I think I started down this rathole to get newer sources with .ui files in
> them so I could look at spacing and sizes, but by now I really don't
> remember.]
>
> - Aron

- --
D.A.Bishop