List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] KPilot on Red Hat 7.2
From:       Kayne McGladrey <k.mcgladrey () worldnet ! att ! net>
Date:       2001-10-27 21:06:41

Hello,

I'm writing to either file a bug report or get directed to a how-to document
that doesn't show up on Google.  I've recently upgraded to RH 7.2, from 7.1
(and 7.0).  KPilot used to work with my USB Visor, when I was running 7.1 and
KDE 2.1 - the stock RH 7.1 install.

To make a long story short, I installed the Rawhide versions of KDE 2.2.
Lots of stuff went south; don't ignore dependencies when you're messing about
with things that use readline (i.e., traceroute, ping, psql...)

I've since upgraded to RH 7.2 with KPilot 4.2.3.  I think I'll avoid Rawhide
in the future.  But KPilot still doesn't work with my system.  I'm running
the stock kernel (no mods yet - I've been running this for what.... less than
a week).

I've linked /dev/pilot and /dev/visor to /dev/ttyUSB1.  /dev/ttyUSB1 is mode
666.  I admit that I found that tip from a HowTo document that still refers
to the 2.2x series of kernel.

I have observed two different behaviors, both of which end the same.  It
doesn't seem to matter if the "Pilot Device" is set to /dev/ttyUSB1 or
/dev/pilot.

Test: Quickly tap hotsync button on USB cradle, start KPilot.
Result: Visor shows "Connecting with the desktop" for about one minute. Times
out with "HotSync Problem - The connection between your handheld computer and
the desktop computer was lost. Some of your data was NOT backed up. Please
check your setup and try again."

Test: Hold down HotSync button on cradle, start KPilot with other hand.
Result: KPilot starts, displays two pop-up messages quickly - starting KPilot
daemon and another one that disappears too quickly.
Visor shows "Synchronizing", but then times out with "HotSync Problem - The
connection between your handheld computer and the desktop computer was lost.
Some of your data was NOT backed up. Please check your setup and try again."

If this IS a bug, or is going to be considered a bug, please let me know.
I'm about 2 hours of probing into this and it's not a fun way to spend a
Saturday afternoon.

Kayne McGladrey