List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] KPilot performance
From:       Bart De Win <Bart.DeWin () cs ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       2001-10-18 17:38:40

Hi,

I use KPilot to sync my Palm M500 through an IR dongle (Actisys IR220L+).
Evidently, this works slower than using the USB cradle (using Windows).
However, using KPilot this goes painfully slow : backup of my Palm (appr. 2.5
MB used) took me about 2 hours ! After experimenting a bit under Linux, I
noticed that backup with plain pilot-xfer "only" takes approx. 30 minutes.

First, are these timings familiar ? Windows syncing takes about 1 min, maybe
two...

Second, I thought that KPilot was based on pilot-link. Does anybody know why
it takes longer to complete using the GUI ? (I made sure that the speed
settings were 115200 at all times both at the PC and at the Palm device).

And third, coldsync supports syncing under Linux using USB. Would it be
possible to make KPilot sync-tool independent, such that one can use coldsync
instead of pilot-link ? (I know that it would be possible theoretically ;),
but can it be achieved in a reasonable amount of time ?)

Cu,
Bart.