List:       kde-pim
Subject:    [Kde-pim] New developer's assignments (was: opps! batteries died)
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () adridg ! sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-10-15 15:55:14

On Monday 15 October 2001 05:25 am, you wrote:
> I forwarded the problem with http://bugs.kde.org/db/pa/lkpilot/ to kde.org.

OK, great.

> I was able to do the restore very simply with pilot-xfer.  Thank you very
> much!!

You're welcome.

> Yes, I can code.  FWIW, I think that being able to dump any data to text
> files that can be processed with many different very common tools (i.e.
> grep, emacs, sed, or any scripting or programming language) is good.  Raw

Well, how about this? [Note: I am herewith dragging you (kicking and
screaming if need be) into the KPilot development effort.] In
kdepim/kpilot/kpilot/memoWidget.cc there's a function slotExportMemo. Right
now it just exports the currently selected memo to a text file. Let's expand
on that (details below).

> text is good.  XML is good.  I don't know how KNotes stores its data, but
> in general, sooner or later I get very frustrated with binary files that

Text. Plain text. Plus some config stuff in a standard KConfig file.

> Thanks again for your help.

So you owe me one :) This week's homework assignment is:

Part I. Make a widget (using Qt designer) for exporting memos. It should have
at least: (1) The possibility to choose "all" or "currently selected" memos
to export (2) The possibility to set the filename, using a Browse button at
the very least (3) Chosing XML or plain text for export. (That's 4 readio
buttons, 3 labels, a groupbox or two and a pushbutton and a QLineEdit in
total, I think.) Base your widget on a Qt Widget -- *NOT* a dialog. Then it
fits into KPilot better.

Part II. (Optional) Add a "Always save only selected memo" option to the
KPilot configuration dialog
(kdepim/kpilot/kpilot/kpilotConfigDialog_base..ui) and make sure it gets
saved to the config file (KPilotConfigDialog::commitChanges and also some
work on ..../kpilotConfig.{h,cc})

Part III. Write a function saveAsXML(const QString &fileName,const char
*memoData) that writes said memo text to a file with the given name.

Due date is nov. 5th, 2001 (I'll add it to the feature list for KDE 3 soon)
by email to me.

If you, Aron, don't pick it up perhaps Stephan will consider it a "welcome to
KPilot development" assignment, before he goes on to the EyeModule conduit.
David, I'm expecting newbie questions from you, and you're ominously silent.

[Note: real development doesn't work this way. We all try to scratch an itch.
Consider this me suggesting that this is a nice problem to tackle that won't
be affected by architectural changes in KPilot. If you feel like fixing
something else, by all means do so.]