List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] changes on pim-pages / call for roadmaps
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-02 21:21:02

#if Klaus Staerk
> Good evening all :-)
>
> I've made some changes on the pim-pages:
>
> 1. the headline is now (as Cornelius proposed) "kde personal information
> management"
> 2. added a page for karm

Great :)
Any chance of us being able to read these pages online soon ?

> Just another call to all app-maintainers: please send me asap a current
> roadmap of the app you maintain - text-only will be okay - I'll make an
> html/php-file of it. Any other/additional information you'd like to see/find
> on the pim-page concerning "your" app is very welcome !

Components I know about:

(Note that none of these are built or installed by default, but it
 may be useful to include this information for anyone who is looking
 at the kde-pim source tree)

Empath:

  Empath is the name of a set of mail client support libraries and kparts
  which provide a complete framework for implementing mail clients (MUAs.)

  These components are all work in progress and are used mainly as a
  testbed for new ideas. The components are not intended to be put
  together as a standalone client, rather, they are intended for reuse in
  other clients, however it is possible to make a standalone client and
  indeed this is supported by the build system, as it makes testing
  easier.

  Empath components have had enough testing (through use in other
  projects) for them to be considered stable, but the code will remain
  available in kde-pim for the foreseeable future in case anyone wants to
  borrow code or ideas.

librmm:

  librmm is an RFC822 (Internet Mail Message) parser. It provides a
  DOM-like parser (the parse tree represented as fully-fledged C++
  objects) and uses extremely 'lazy' parsing to gain as much
  efficiency as possible. It is almost complete and has been tested
  somewhat by being used with the standalone Empath client.

  Recently this parser has been ported to STL, in order to avoid the
  threading problems associated with the Qt tool classes. The STL version
  will not replace the Qt version, as there is at least one project using
  librmm. Rather, the new version will be given a different name to avoid
  compatibily issues..

libvcard:

  libvcard is a VCard 3.0 parser, whose design is similar to that of
  librmm. It has until recently been mostly untested, but some fixes
  have been made recently (thanks to Cornelius)

libdif:

  libdif is a LDIF parser, again with a design similar to librmm. It
  has had minimal testing, but is simple enough to fix quickly should
  there be any issues. LDIF is the document format used by LDAP.

libkimap:

  libkimap is an IMAP4rev1 client library. It conforms to RFC2060.
  It provides both synchronous and asynchronous APIs. The synchronous
  API is easier to use and requires less client code, but is only
  suitable for separate threads/processes. The asynchronous API is
  suitable for use within a GUI app's main thread. This library has
  had minimal testing.

kab2:

  kab2 is a testing ground for a new design of addressbook library for
  KDE, which allows any kind of backend and supports communication with
  the client via either DCOP or direct linking. It also supports runtime
  changeable addressbook formats, specified in simple XML. This design
  has not been agreed on, so the library may disappear in the future.

twister:

  twister is a quick sketch of an Outlook-style PIM application. It
  is basically a top-level window which embeds KParts. It was used
  to test embedding Empath and KOrganizer components and currently
  serves no useful purpose.