List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    D9040: Revert "[Lock Screen / Login] Add "reveal password button""
From:       Martin_Flöser <noreply () phabricator ! kde ! org>
Date:       2017-11-29 16:42:16

graesslin added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D9040#173465, @ngraham wrote:

  > On most touch platforms, only the last character in password prompts is revealed, \
one-at-a-time. It might make more sense to implement that than to keep the reveal \
button.

  On touch platforms: yes, but this is hybrid. Do you want your password being \
revealed on a big screen when entering with keyboard? Probably not. Thus the reveal \
button is a better solution than reveal while typing in this case.
  People here know that I'm a security fanatic. And I honestly fail to see the issue \
with the button. Yes, if you enter half your password and move away someone else \
could reveal your password. Similar if you mistype and move away someone could see \
your password. This is a highly unrealistic scenario and doesn't allow to get the \
real password. It's only a problem if you use a password like 08041985 (my birthday) \
and someone would know that 09041985 has an obvious error. If you use such kind of \
password it doesn't matter at all: your friends will be able to break it.
  Yes I see the concerns, but just because there are concerns means we need to \
destroy the usability here. Security and usability are always in conflict with each \
other and one needs to find the right level. Sometimes the security should win, \
sometimes the usability. In this case usability should win. If there are valid \
security concerns we should address them. I could imagine:
  - show info that the password got revealed
  - clear the text fields after certain amount of inactivity
  - clear the text field after incorrect password
  - make button not clickable, but only on touch (might not work on X, but heck)

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace

BRANCH
  master

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D9040

To: davidedmundson, broulik
Cc: graesslin, ngraham, broulik, plasma-devel, ZrenBot, progwolff, lesliezhai, \
ali-mohamed, jensreuterberg, abetts, sebas, apol, mart