List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    D5264: Amarok Player Integration For Mycroft
From:       Aditya Mehra <noreply () phabricator ! kde ! org>
Date:       2017-03-31 20:33:10

Aiix added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D5264#99248, @graesslin wrote:

  > Just wondering: why dedicated to amarok instead of interacting with mpris? That \
would allow to control any media player instead of just amarok

  Amarok is the first implementation of interacting  over the default mpris dbus \
interface where other players over the mpris dbus interface will be added, The \
limitation seems to be on the side of how I can integrate with Mycroft Skills via \
Dbus and intent management. There are two points to this. 1. It seems currently i \
cannot implement a blocking dbus loop on a mycroft skill where i cannot directly \
query the media player in use by the system in default this will break user \
interaction with other skills if i run the skill in a dbus main loop so only single \
method calls work without having the ability to implement dbus signals and replies.  \
2. Intent handling for example user say's simply "Play Music / Pause Music / Next \
Song / Previous Song" how to determine the media player to use by default as every \
user has an individual preference unless it is being defined by the system where \
there is a dbus method call to a default system player available. Here the solution \
as per my implementation seems to segregate the media player the user wants to play \
his media by where any media player  for example "Babe Qt", "Rhythmbox" "Deepin Media \
Player" or "VLC" that makes use of mpris dbus interface will have individual intent \
calls like "Hey Mycroft, Deepin Play Song" or "Hey Mycroft, Rhythmbox Play Song" etc.

REPOSITORY
  R846 Mycroft Plasma integration

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D5264