List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Review Request 117450: Add Milou to the default panel layout
From:       Sebastian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-04-28 9:16:25

On Friday, April 25, 2014 17:21:55 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Thursday 24 April 2014 11:53:49 Sebastian K=FCgler wrote:
> > One has to take history into account here. While cleaning up the Kickoff
> > UI, I've removed the "branding" button. This small text is a useful
> > replacement>
> > for that:
> >
> > - Distros want to have the distro name somewhere in the UI
> > - Users need the name for support inquiries (otherwise, finding out the
> > name of the OS is hard and different for distros, barring command line)
> From what I've seen, it doesn't show the distro name, but the full
> hostname,  which is a technical thing which ordinary users probably won't
> understand anyway.

Can you show a screenshot? It should show the short hostname and the distro =

name. Perhaps a bug?

> Plus, I'm sure we can find better places for branding than the place where
> the  filter bar used to be.

Well, it's still less elements in the UI, that's a win in my books.

> > Just yanking it out creates new problems.
> >
> > Type to search is used in other applications as well, without input bar:
> >
> > - Firefox: search in webpages
> =

> Which version are you referring to? In Firefox 28, when I start typing
> without  having anything focused, nothing happens. No search starts.

That seems to have been yanked (could've been long time ago, I haven't used =

Firefox a lot lately).

> > - kmail's move to folder
> =

> Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "move to folder". Could you please =

> elaborate?

Hit m on an email in kmail, it will pop up a folder selection dialog. Then =

just type a substring of one folder name.

> > The underlying issue might be that it's understood as search, while it
> > really is _filtering_, and then it happens to be not so uncommon anymore
> > do it like this. The fact that we're using runners for it is entirely n=
ot
> > interesting to the user, it also means that we should not just enable m=
ore
> > runners here. Kickoff is simply not a search-optimized UI. I agree with
> > Vishesh that as Kickoff is now, search has no place in there.
> =

> "Filter as you type" is common in GNOME/GTK software, but not in KDE
> software.  If we want to establish this as a new pattern, it should be
> implemented in more than just one place (plus some place in kmail which I
> apparently wasn't aware of yet).

I think it's a useful pattern, and we should patternize it, which probably =

means documenting. I'd suggest to try with the current implementation in =

Kickoff, and see what user feedback we get (i.e. bugreports).

Cheers,
-- =

sebas