List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Plasma2 porting & framework-scratch branches
From:       Sebastian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-05-01 23:22:08

Hi Alex,

On Wednesday, May 01, 2013 19:45:02 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 May 2013, Sebastian K=FCgler wrote:
> > Since we're running out of components to port in plasma-frameworks
> > (*cough*), this seems like a useful point to focus our porting in
> > non-random branches. Therefore, I've created frameworks-scratch branches
> > in which we can merge our ported Plasma bits and pieces. They're pretty
> > bare-bones right now, only installing a few Plasma packages.
> >
> > The following repositories now have frameworks-scratch branches:
> > =

> > * kde-workspace
> > * kdeplasma-addons
> > * kdeexamples
> >
> > There's some serious CMakeLists.txt cleanup needed, but it basically
> > should
> > build / install for you, at least the few things that are actually alre=
ady
> =

> Actually I'd prefer if there would be more progress within frameworks
> before  porting stuff to frameworks as it is now.
> Since months nothing new has been moved into tier1/ and tier2/.
> We also still have libkdeqtstaging/.

Yes, there's still a huge amount of work to do in kdelibs, that's certainly =

among the problems we need to think about and solve.

Plasma is in a bit of a special position though, since:

- it's the part which needs the most changes (moves to scenegraph, QtQuick2=
, =

  Wayland), so there's huge amounts of work to do there as well. I'm curren=
tly =

  updating our todo list, so how much exactly that is, we'll get to know th=
en

- We have some critical bits in other repositories, that we can not split o=
ut =

  yet and import into plasma-framework (and neither do we want to). We need =

  those pieces to work on Plasma 2. Some of those I have already ported a f=
ew =

  weeks back, this change basically cuts down the build system in a way so =
I =

  can actually install these pieces (among which all kinds of tests, and th=
e =

  desktop containments and toolboxes) using cmake.

I'm not asking everybody to port their Plasma code to Plasma2, but I still =

need to have a sane way to port some bits as I need them. If you look at th=
e =

changes, it's quite the minimal way to make it at least installable on Plas=
ma =

2, and that, too will need more work.

So, in both areas we probably won't get bored for quite a while. ;)

Cheers,
-- =

sebas