List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Plasma Media Center progress
From:       Christopher Blauvelt <cblauvelt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-22 17:09:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Markus <kamikazow@web.de> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag 22 April 2010 17:08:24 schrieb todd rme:
> > I think kaffeine does as well.
>
> Recording as well? LibVLC should provide all needed features and since VLC
> is
> going to be Phonon's preferred back-end (at least
>
> http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/1171-Rapid-Progress-in-KDE-Multimedia.html
> sounds like that), it should be installed with KDE SC anyway...

Recording the incoming signal is not the difficult part.  The difficult part
is the management.  Scheduling recordings, storing recordings, deconflicting
recordings given a variable number of tv tuners, receiving and processing
accuarate show scheduling information.  These are non-trivial items which
took the MythTV folks a while to get right.  If we're going to go down this
route, I think it would make more sense to connect to the MythTV backend
(whether remote or on the local machine) and manage recordings that way, but
all in due time.
Chris