List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: Plasma Themes Contest writeup
From:       Jamboarder <jamboarder () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2008-04-07 17:25:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should we extend the deadline?
>
> I see two reasons for doing so:
> - to allow current contestants to finish their themes (primary reason)
> - to receive a couple more themes

Full disclosure: I have 2 themes entered in the contest.

It appears that the current deadline might be performing itsfunction well enough (another \
surprisingly complete theme just got posted this morning).  That said, I don't think it would \
be too much of a big deal to extend the deadline no further than to the weekend.  However, if \
we do, it might be worthwhile holding to original the deadline for announcing contest winners.

We should probably try to pin down a measure of finish-ness that might help decide on whether \
it is even necessary to extend the deadline.  I offer that if the theme covers elements of \
plasma with which the user is expected to interact (out of necessity or frequent choice - we \
NEED plasma use cases), then the theme is sufficently complete w.r.t. the deadline.  I think \
these elements are panel, dialog, tooltip, widget background, clock.  Obviously the more \
complete the better, but that's a judgment issue not a deadline-extension issue.

My opinion (and hope) is that the most promising themes will probably meet the above criteria \
in time for the current deadline.  I have my eye on one that I really hope makes it.  For a \
little perspective, before the contest was even suggested there were about 3 or 4 themes on \
kde-look.  Now there are 17 themes.  Granted, they don't suit everyone's taste, but if the \
contest accomplished nothing else, I'd be pretty happy  that this much was produced in just a \
little over two weeks.  AND they're only a GHNS click away!

peace and respect,
Andrew