List:       kde-panel-devel
Subject:    Re: [Panel-devel] Plasma + 3d Globe == crash
From:       "Matias Valdenegro T." <mvaldenegro () informatica ! utem ! cl>
Date:       2007-10-28 18:24:39

El Dom 28 Oct 2007, Sven Burmeister escribió:
> On Sonntag, 28. Oktober 2007, Chris Howells wrote:
> > Googlign suggets (and Matias seems to confirm :) that this is due to a
> > lack of OpenGL context, but I don't really know how to fix this (damn
> > being taugh OpenGL at uni by a lecturer who didn't have a clue about it
> > either!). Maybe Plasma::GLApplet should create a context by default, or
> > provide a way of querying GL version/capabilities?
>
> What does OpenGL context mean? For me the globe crashes although cmakekde
> shows that OpenGL is supported and since I use the NVIDIA binary-driver it
> should work, should it not?

Yes and no.

OpenGL Contexts are the global objects that holds the current OpenGL state,
such as the matrix stacks, current rendering mode, texture object
identifiers, etc, and things like the buffers attached, like stencil, depth,
auxiliary buffers.

That's a software thing, if you use glxinfo and such to view if OpenGL is
working or not, it already creates a context and uses it to query state, like
the renderer, OpenGL version, the extension string, etc.

QGLWidget and such creates a context and makes it current inside each virtual
function, but if you call OpenGL functions outside of that scope, those calls
fail.