List:       kde-optimize
Subject:    turning off KDE malloc by default
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2004-09-20 15:40:46

 Hello,

 I repeated my measure-malloc-performance-in-real-world[*] benchmark with
glibc-2.3.3-based SUSE 9.1 with and without the fast malloc in kdecore
enabled, and I couldn't notice any difference. Therefore I'd like to change
the default for --enable-fast-malloc to be --enable-fast-malloc=no ,
especially given that

- there are conflicts between different malloc's in some rare cases, e.g. licq
(which itself is a plain C++ app AFAIK but dlopen's kdelibs) has a workaround
avoiding our malloc
- I seem to remember somebody mentioning some issue with bindings, but I don't
remember any details
- it's a hack that shouldn't be there in the nice ideal world
- with -O0 this malloc actually makes debug builds slower :)

 Those unfortunate enough to still run systems with poorly performing malloc()
can of course still use --enable-fast-malloc.

 Flames ... erm, I mean, comments?

[*] Launch Konqueror, open the huuge mysql html documentation file, wait for
it to finish loading, hit F5 and start measuring, measure time until the stop
toolbar button greys out again.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer