List:       kde-optimize
Subject:    Re: Some optimization opportunities
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () cirulla ! net>
Date:       2004-06-19 9:41:09

On Saturday 19 June 2004 11:02, Daniël Mantione wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This week I dropped my laptop unfortunately it didn't survive. Now I
> find myself using my old K6 again. Not that I don't have a fast desktop,
> but often it runs that other commercial operating system and it's often
> more convenient to use the k6 than reboot my computer.
>
> Well, of course everything feels a lot slower. I did some investigations
> wether I could tweak things a bit. One of the first things I did was to
> convert all icons to 256 colours. I'm not sure if KDE will convert them
> back to 32-bit colours, but if it doesn't this'll reduce their memory
> usage 4 times.

I think it should not... If I recall correctly, Qt can handle 32bpp and 8bpp
images, and 8bpp images are expanded on the fly when drawn on the screen.
The drawing may take a bit longer to complete (but maybe not, since there are
fewer bytes to read), but the memory saving, as you say, may be worth the
penalty.

Luciano