List:       kde-optimize
Subject:    Re: dcop auto-overuse
From:       Maks Orlovich <mo002j () mail ! rochester ! edu>
Date:       2003-12-08 16:43:22

On Monday 08 December 2003 11:07 am, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> moin,
>
> my recent problem with drkonqi in kdm context pointed me to a generic
> problem ...
> while we all certainly appreciate geiseri's (and other's) hard work to
> make many kde apps scriptable, you'll certainly have to agree, that >99%
> of the users don't need it. still, this slows down application startup,

Have you profiled it, or are you just making a wild guess? If you did, I would
love to see your numbers, since last I looked at it, DCOP registeration took
a few milliseconds at most, so if I measured it right, it was negligible
compared to just about everything else.

The non-KDE case is of course different, and I wouldn't really comment on it,
since I don't care much. Well almost: I wonder whether it would make sense to
just not launch dcop server if not absolutely needed for the app. Of course,
Konqueror is an example of an app that does need DCOP quite significantly.